I’ve been perfecting the craft of whole-food vegan shakes for nearly a decade now.
When I started, my goal was simply to pack the most possible calories and protein into a drink made from whole plant foods – and you can still find that recipe here! We’ve had many former “skinny vegans” write us to say that this vegan weight gainer shake finally helped them pack on muscle.
My focus over time has shifted: while the calories and protein are still substantial, my objective was to create the single most nutritious, long-term health-promoting yet convenient meal I could eat. Most of the new additions to the recipe come from How Not to Die, by Dr. Michael Greger, which I can’t recommend highly enough. Seriously, go read it!
Yes, there are a lot of ingredients! Once blended, though, it tastes like a chocolatey banana-date smoothie. And keep mind: you can customize the recipe to suit YOU!
Ladies and gentlemen, our…
Plant Based Protein Super Shake
- 1 Bananas
- 2 Dates
- 1 Cup Plant milk (soy, almond, etc.)
- 1 Cup White Beans
- 1 Scoop Clean Machine Clean Green Protein (if you choose to supplement protein)
- 1 TBSP Defatted peanut butter
- Small Handful fresh beet greens
- Small Handful fresh purple cabbage
- Small Handful fresh kale
- 1/4 Cup Frozen spinach
- 1/4 Cup Frozen broccoli
- 1/4 Cup Frozen kale
- 1 TBSP Ground flax seeds
- 1/2 Ounce Walnuts
Super antioxidant stuff
- 1/2 Cup Frozen berry mix (blueberries, strawberries, blackberries cherries)
- 1/4 Inch Chunk fresh turmeric
- 2 Wedges Frozen amla fruit quarters
- 1 TBSP cocoa powder
- 1 Cup Traditional Medicinals green tea hibiscus blend
Yes, its a lot of ingredients, but you’d be hard pressed to find a higher protein, antioxidant, or nutritional bang-for-your-buck meal out there anywhere, and a delicious one at that! If you decide to give it a shot, we’d love to hear your thoughts or any ideas for modifications!